Saturday, January 9, 2010

Learning About Yourself

Yesterday I got the opportunity to learn about my swimming mechanics. Even though I know how to swim I decided to take a swim lesson. My reasoning is that I will be investing substantial time in the pool training for triathlons. I might as well optimize that pool training with proper and efficient swim technique. Thank God I did this. My lesson was video recorded and I got to see myself swim. Then I got to see the instructor swim. The difference between us was a huge chasm. After an hour of refining and changing and learning my technique improved substantially. I almost looked as good as the instructor. I will work on what I learned for a few weeks and visit my instructor again for more refinement.

The moral of the story: Don't hesitate to learn about yourself. If you are passionate about running, swimming, biking, golf, tennis, etc., go get a lesson by a qualified professional and see how you are really doing. Learn about how you can improve. See yourself on video just once. It is valuable information. Even though I am a scratch golfer I still take lessons using video recorders. I always learn something new. Plus, if you see yourself move you may have an instinct on how to change for the better.

Don't be afraid to change!!!

Yesterday's workout was my first recovery run in years. I ran 6.5 miles at a 10:18 pace. It's funny because 4 years ago all I used to run were 10 minute miles. Now, running this pace seems tedious. But, it serves a purpose of healthy active recovery.

Today's schedule is an 18 miler along frigid Lake Michigan. Another Alaskan endurance run. I wonder how many of my running friends I'll see on the lakefront path, the friends I don't know. I know their faces though. The faces of commitment and dedication.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

1 comment:

  1. Good for you re the swim lesson. It's amazing what one simple change can do for your stroke!

    ReplyDelete