Saturday, January 2, 2010

Embracing Winter

The sky is clear as the new day dawns. The sun will be making it's appearance soon, adding a touch of warmth for my long run. Another bitterly cold day with temperatures around 5 degrees and wind chills 10-15 degrees below zero. Thank God for hot, fresh, black coffee to get the motor running.

I started the first day of the new year with no running because Friday is an off day. Instead, it was a triathlon training day. I did purchase my Gary Fisher ARC Pro triathlon road bike and added aero bars so I can practice riding in the aero position. I also got the cycleops indoor fluid 2 bike trainer. Yesterday I rode the bike indoors on the trainer for about 40 minutes and covered 10 miles. The trainer does a very good job alternating the speed at which you can pedal as you change gears. It is a very good workout and I look forward to increasing my mileage and speed over time.

After my bike workout I had lunch, took care of a few household items and then headed to X Sport Fitness to use the pool. I am still just building my swimming capacity and tend to swim continuously. Yesterday I swam 2500 yards or about 1.4 miles in 63 minutes.

So, all in all: 10 miles biking and 1.4 miles swimming and weights later in the day. Pretty awesome way to start the new year.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

No comments:

Post a Comment