Saturday, January 16, 2010

Enjoy The Day You Have

As I look out east this morning past my snow covered deck and shingled garage roof, I see gray. Snow is slowly melting and receeding from roofs in the houserizon. Winds are very still. It is amazing how little sun we get to see during Chicago winters. Many days may start with the bright happy Sun, but, before you know it the clouds take over. What is one to do?? Well, I am not sure where I ever heard this quote but you may apply it to many situations.

It goes like this: "You have to enjoy the day you have, not the day you want."

You only have today. Nobody really knows what tomorrow will bring. Just watch the news on Haiti. The day before the earthquake life was good. The next day all that changed.

Enjoy your day today. Be grateful that you have today. Be glad that you, "get to do things," not, "have to do things." Today I get to clean the house. Today, I get to run. Today, I get to enjoy my wife and dogs. Today, I get to enjoy my life. Today, I get to make someone else's life better, in some small way. I get to do these things because I am lucky enough to: Have a home, be able to run, have a wonderful wife and loving dogs, have a good life.

Yesterday, I "got to run." I wanted to swim as well so I decided to go to X Sport Fitness and use one of their declining treadmills and then swim. I am getting ready for Boston and need to hill train. I can train on inclines at home anytime on my treadmill. But, my mill does not have the decline feature. Trying the decline treadmill at the club was a great idea. I ran 5 miles and varied the inclines and declines. I would say that I ran 3 miles in total at a 3% decline. I was surprised how spent my quads felt. This was a really good workout and I will do this many more times in my prep for Boston.

After the run I swam only 1000 yards and worked on my new technique, especially kicking and breathing. My balance in the water is much much better. I actually feel like I am floating on the surface like a bobber. I wanted to work on becomming more coordinated with continuous kicking. It's coming along. I have hope. I stopped after 1000 yards because my quads were tired after the downhill running and excessive kicking. Then "got to have," a 1 hour massage.

Now, "I get to have another cup of coffee," then "I get to do some chores," then, "I get to go for a long run." How lucky am I?


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

No comments:

Post a Comment