Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hump Day

I am watching the east sky brightening. The sun will make an appearance today. Not much wind to speak of but it's only 16 degrees. I never thought I would get excited about 16 degrees no wind and some sunshine. Us Chicagoans are not spoiled with our weather. We get excited over the small things. Today should be a great day for a run outside.

I read an interesting article in the Jan/Feb issue of Running Times. The title is, Change For The Better." The article talks about getting out of your normal routine once in a while. Change it up. Doing the same workout over and over again will only help you improve to a certain point. After I read the article I felt better about running on the treadmill and utilizing various inclines in my Boston Marathon training. I'm changing it up. Are you? Give it a shot.

Yesterday's run was on the treadmill. I decided to run 8 miles using various inclines and speeds. The inclines ranged from 0 to 5% and speeds varied from 7 mph to 8.5 mph. After all was said and done I ran 8 miles in 1:04:00. The average pace was 8 minute miles. Not bad. Today I am planning on running outside in the warmth and sunshine.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

No comments:

Post a Comment