Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sentimental Journey's

Good morning.

This is the last big Boston training weekend. Six to 8 mile marathon pace run today and 20 miles tomorrow. The last weekend of your final 20 miler is sometimes an emotional experience. As you run along you see the sights and sounds of the many things you have become a part of over the last several months.

I will head east to the lakefront path and thoughts of my very cold winter miles may creap in my mind. I may recall the snow formations and frozen waves. I will be in the zone. As I view Lake Michigan my mind may wonder and remind me of how I qualified for Boston. Of how I pushed myself through the pain as I ran Chicago and kept repeating, Boston, Boston to spur a harder effort.

As I approach the Drake Hotel by Oak Street beach there will actually be people out there enjoying the spring weather. People playing with their dogs in the sand. Lots of eye candy too!! There will be more runners, walkers and bike riders. It will be a sentimantal journey.

One thing I will see and cherish for sure are my running friends. The ones I have seen training all winter. I don't know their names. I only know their faces. The faces of dedication and commitment.

My last two workouts have been good. Thursday was a 6 mile easy run and yesterday a 20 mile bike ride.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment