Sunday, April 25, 2010

Project Triathlon

Good morning.

Well Zero week is just about over. I have not run since the Boston Marathon last Monday. I have been busy doing other activities:

Tuesday: 4 miles elliptical

Wednesday: 15 bike on trainer

Thursday: 2000 yard swim in 39 minutes and 4 mile elliptical

Friday: 21.8 mile bike ride along Lake Michigan. Weights.

Saturday: I talked myself into an off day.

It's time to really focus on triathlon training and blend it with running. I will be swimming and biking more. I have been looking up race results for various Half Ironman events to get an idea of what's a good time in these events for my age group, 50-55.

I realize that if I ever want to give myself a chance to qualify for the Foster Grant 70.3 World Championships in Florida I need to come in somewhere around 5 hours for the, 1.5K swim, 56 mile bike and half marathon run.

What does this mean? It means I need to come up with goals for each triathlon discipline. The goals have to be specific.

I would like to get my time for the 1.2 mile swim down to 30 minutes. I will do this by improving my threshold pace in 100 meters from where ever it is today, to a 100 meter pace of 1:30 and be able to hold this pace for a 2K time trial.

So, some preliminary Half Ironman goals are:

Swim, 1.2 miles: 30 minutes. I just did a 2000 yard swim in 39 minutes. So, I need to take off about 10 minutes.

Bike, 56 miles: 2:00-2:30 or so.

Run, 1/2 Marathon: 1:40

So, that's what I will be working on.

Today, I finally will run again. I am thinking a slow 8 miler.



Edited by Silentrunner 4/25/2010 7:18 AM

-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment