Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Morning

Sunday December 20

Yesterdays 10 mile run was a wet, slushy mess. The snow was so wet that it would build on the bottom of my shoes and at time it felt like I was running with heavy high heals. Also, as I went along I wondered if the added weight on my feet could be a possible injury concern. But, I just kept going. Eventually the snow anchors would fall off. I was actually surprised that the average pace was 8:30 mi with average heart rate of 128 bpm. That is a nice low heart rate for that effort.

I watched my favorite event yesterday, the 2009 Ironman World Championship in Kona, HI. The personal stories they cover always bring a tear to my eye. People who have overcome incredible odds and who need to prove to themselves that they, "are back." One lady had a stroke two years ago and had to learn how to walk again. She finished. She swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles and ran a marathon. Very inspirational, to me. All the stories, the faces, the personalities, the commitment and determination; I hope I get the chance to prove to myself that I to can do it.

I am not sure how this day will unfold yet. Running is part of the plan, of course. I would like to go longer today in dedication to all those who gave it their all in the Ironman. Who am I not to?


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

No comments:

Post a Comment