Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Climb Those Hills, Boston's Just Ahead

It's early in the morning and still dark outside. I am in a familiar sitting position in my favorite comfortable chair, drinking pure coffee. No dilution for me. I like it strong and black. The outside snow is barely visable but the street light illuminates it with a yellow glow. My living room is a glow from the lights on the Christmas Tree. The only light in the room. I love this time of day with it's quiet and stillness. My westie is restless and digging through the dog toy basket and finally brings me the big yellow duck stuffed toy. I wonder, with all of the toys crammed in the basket how they decide which one to grab. It's like us going through our sock drawer looking for that perfect pair. The chihuahua jumps off my lap to join the fun. But, I have to keep them quite so they do not wake up the sleeping in-laws upstairs. They moved in yesterday. Barclay looks at me as if saying, "want to play?" Now he chews the duck trying to get the squeeker. He always does this.

So, yesterday I ran 8 miles on the treadmill. I have noticed how much my running has improved from last winters treadmill sessions. I think all of the outdoor running has made me much stronger, faster and more aerobically fit. I can run at a much faster pace on the treadmill now. After a little warm up I kept the pace for this run between 7 and 8 miles an hour. I would go in five minute increments of speed for five and then hills for five. My hills were mainly at 4 percent grade. While running the hills I kept the pace no slower than 7 mph. All in all it was a good workout.

I do think I am faster outside though.



Edited by Silentrunner 12/23/2009 5:47 AM

-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

No comments:

Post a Comment