Friday, May 14, 2010

Listening To My Body

Good afternoon.

My hip is slowly improving. But, it might not be ready for a good 1/2 marathon effort on Sunday. I truely believe this is a running niggle and not caused by swimming, biking or elliptical. In fact, those exercises to not bother me at all.

This niggle is near the upper back hip bone near the waist and glut area. It probably is something muscular that needs to mend. I currently have extremely minimal sensation of pain. Perhaps a 1 on a scale of 1-10. I would net even call it pain. But, I have not run in two days and am letting it heal. I do not want to come back to running to soon and injure it more.

If I did not have a race on Sunday I would not even let this thing bother me. I really wanted to run this 1/2 marathon. But, keeping the big picture in perspective, Boston was still only a little over 3 weeks ago. It seems longer to me. Perhaps it is to soon to give a kick ass effort in a 1/2 marathon. Perhaps my body is protecting me from greater injury. I will listen to my body. MIND OVER MYSELF.

I have so many other events to look forward to. I have another 1/2 marathon on June 13. I also have other races and triathlons to prepare for. So, perhaps I will stick to the pool, bike and elliptical a little longer. I will play this by ear. I may try a short run tomorrow and see how I feel. I may not. One must be fluid with these things.

I will say this, my legs feel awesome and strong. They have recovered from the Boston training and the race itself. I can't wait to let them free again.

Yesterdy I ended up weight training and doing 5 miles on the elliptical. No hip pain.

Today is a swim and bike day. I swam earlier today and did 1500 yards with 500 warm up, 500 speed of 5X100 and then 500 technique. For the week this was the most swimming to date with 6000 yards or 3.4 miles.

Do you remember when I first started this triathlon/swimming adventure in December? I used to complain about breathing difficulties. Those are history. I swam 2500 yards in 54 minutes on Wednesday and when done was not even breathing hard. So, I feel like I've come a long way in the pool.

I will get on the bike in the basement on the trainer shortly and workout for 20 miles.

The bike does not cause hip pain.

I have learned a lot in this training journey. Niggles and pains come and go. But, there are times to be careful.

There are times to have, "MIND OVER MYSELF."


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment