Saturday, May 8, 2010

Enjoying The Journey

Good morning.

I am finally getting into the triathlon training mode. It has taken a bit for me to adjust from mostly running focused to blending, swimming, biking and running. Granted, I had been swimming and biking some during the winter as I prepared for Boston but that was more of a running focused time.

Now, I am running fewer weekly miles and blending in more focused efforts in swimming and biking. I think the reduction in running mileage will be good for my legs and just make them stronger through the adaptation from recovery.

I usually swim in the mornings and run or bike in the afternoon. Now, I am definitely biking more. Biking is becomming a major focus. One needs to bike many miles in preparation for the half Ironman. Most weekends will have a long ride of around 50 miles. Add this to the other bike training during the week and you will ride almost 100 miles per week.

I also must start doing more "Brick" workouts which are when you do two triathlon disciplines back to back. One major area of focus will be bike to run bricks. This is a must.

All this training is fun and interesting. I am happy that I am reasonably fit and am able to handle all of this training. I can't imagine just starting out with no training base.

Today I get to see an old friend, the "long run." I am still preparing for running events during the summer. My first event is next weekend: the Chicago Spring Half Marathon. My goal for this event is to run this under 1:40. We will see how it goes. I will only push the pace if my legs feel ready. Today's run will be 10-11 miles.

Yesterday was a weight training and biking day. I lifted and then got on the bike on the indoor trainer and pedaled only ten miles. I continue to work on a cadence of 90 or higher and it's working fine.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment