Saturday, June 12, 2010

Swimingly Wonderful....Fore

Good Morning.

Hey, what's up? Not much how bout you. It's been such a long time and I really do miss your smile.

Just felt like writing that. I've got that song in my mind. Do you have any idea what song those lyrics are from?

Let's see. Thursday was a day off from biking and running. I did a quick 1000 yard swim instead. Then it was time to play my first round of golf this summer with a good friend, my wife's uncle. My golf has taken a backseat to tri training lately.

We went to the Glen Club in Glenview, IL. I actually played pretty darn good for the first time out shooting a 77. I bogeyed two of the par 5's which is a major no no. I could have easily shot 75. Not complaining though.

Yesterday was another swim day. I wanted to get in a real workout in the pool. I decided to simulate an "olympic distance swim." That is approx 1600 yards. I swam very comfortably-semi hard. I easily could have pushed it more. My 1600 yard simulation took 32:30. Not bad. Then I did 400 yards 4X100 of speed.

Later in the day I got on the bike in the basement on the trainer and knocked out 20 miles. I continue to work on a high cadence with an occassional push of slower - bigger gears for hill work.

Today is another swim day. Hey, that's three swim days in a row. This swim will be in Lake Michigan. I will gather my gear, get in the car and head south down Lakeshore Drive. I will look to my left and the shimmering lake will be there with all kinds of runners, walkers and bikers exercising on the lakefront path, you know, my friends. The one's I do not know. I know their faces. The faces of commitment and dedication. It is a pretty sight.

As I continue south, the Drake Hotel will slowly come into view. Then I will curve left around Oak Street Beach and find my parking spot. I will begin my trek to Ohio St Beach and meet up with members of the Chicago Tri Club and other triathletes practicing their open water swim.

No running or biking today. I am letting my legs rest for tomorrows 13.1, half marathon. I have not decided if I am really racing this or just running it. My guess is, my racing juices will kick in.





Edited by Silentrunner 6/12/2010 6:50 AM

-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment