Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Not for Faint of Heart

Good morning.

These long weekends always seem to throw my day schedule off. For example, I keep forgetting that it is Wednesday and not Tuesday.

Yesterday was a swimming and biking day. This would be my first back to back swim workout. Maybe I will make it three days in a row.

The swim yesterday was just a 500 yard warm up in 9:45. No problem. Then I decided to once again do 5X100 speed drills. I would start a little slower and try to pick up the pace with each successive 100 yard set.

The first set was 1:50, too slow. The second, 1:40, that's better. The third, 1:39, wooo, cool. Heartrate way up there. The fourth, 1:37, a new PR for a 100. My heart was pounding out of my chest and I though I would lose it. The fifth, 1:44, more of a cool down.

Swimming this hard really gets your heart rate way up there. I think my heart rate was much higher than when I run a 5K. I never feel like that when I run. Totally spent laying on the edge of the pool. Big huge heart beats.

Perhaps that means I can run much harder.

Later in the day I hoped on the bike on the trainer and knocked out another 20 miles. This session was just a bit slower than usual. More of a easy bike ride. Got to do those once in a while.

Today???? No biking. Running, maybe. Swimming, perhaps.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment