Friday, June 4, 2010

Call Me Flipper

Good morning.

Got a new swim workout from my coach. I tried it yesterday. The only problem was that I left my printed workout on the kitchen counter. So, I did the best I could from memory. The workout looked like this:

Warm up: 300 yards: Time = 7:06

4X300: ( 1st 100 moderate, middle 100 hard, 3rd 100 moderate). The rest interval between 100's is 30 seconds.

-Times: 5:44, 5:39, 5:42, 5:47

4X150: (1st 50 moderate, 2nd 50 hard, 3rd 50 moderate). The rest interval between 150's is 20 seconds.

-Times: 2:51, 2:54, 2:54, 2:49

Cool down, 200 yards: Time 4:10.

Total: 2,300 yards

I left out the third phase: 4X100. I will do this workout again next week. This really is a great test. The minimal rest between sets really makes you work. It's sort of similar to doing running intervals with much less rest. I felt good afterward and felt like I just had a really good swim workout.

Later in the day I got on the bike on the trainer and worked on cadence for 20 miles. The more I read about biking the more I realize the importance of maintaining an 85-110 cadence. Riding with a higher cadence helps keep your legs fresh vs pushing bigger gears using your strong quad muscles.

Today, no swimming, biking or running. Maybe weights.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment