Friday, March 26, 2010

Ocean Waves

My name is Randy and I'm a runaholic. It's been 6 days since my last run.

I now realize I am addicted to running and the great feeling it produces with the endorphin rush. I have been running for over thirty years and I truely miss it. I have accepted my layoff and realize that I have not taken a full week off from running since my bout of PF many years ago. The result hopefully will be new legs, like Kenny says.

Yesterday I walked a cumulative 6 miles. Two on the road and four barefoot on the beach. I never realized that your legs could get sore from walking on the sand. But, the back of my legs are a little sore, most likely from the push-off from the sand.

I also swam a mile in the churned up ocean. The waves were coming at a diagonal and were small to moderate. I decided to test my swimming in these conditions. I started off going into the chop and would see how it went. As I swam I wore my goggles and would look into the water. All I could see was green. Blind in a way. There had been numerous jellyfish washing up on shore so there was a possibility of running into one of these head size jell filed monsters.

I swam good and hard for 1/2 mile and swam back for a mile workout. As I swam into the waves I would rise up and down with the flow of the water. I would pick it up in speed and watch the condos on the beach go by. I also was in the area where the pelicans were bomb diving for fish. It was all so interesting. It felt good to swim and just go. You know what, it was not that hard. Great practice.

A little later as I sat on my chair on the beach some older man comes up to me and says, "what are you going to do for an encore?" I said, "what do you mean?" He said, "I was watching you swim. I have never seen anyone swim like that." He was very impressed at how I swam. He mentioned it reminded him of Navy Seals when he was in the service. I just said, yea, they are some crazy tough dudes. He said the only person he ever saw swim like that was his father. I was very appreciative of his nice comments. The last thing I ever expected when I woke up yesterday was someone giving me such a nice compliment with my swimming. I thanked him.

Today, more walkin and golf. Tomorrow I may go for a run.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment