Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Flying Through The Water

Good morning.

Had an interesting open water swim yesterday in Lake MI.

Had a regular start and just worked on a smooth stroke. As I swam I would watch the still sand on the lake bottom go by. The lake was very clear.

Soon I passed the bobbing red 1/4 mile bouy. I new it would not be long until I would be rounding the 1/2 mile bouy and heading back.

That's where I was wrong!

A couple hundred yards from the 1/2 mile marker I notice that my progress was slowing. I thought it may be my imagination. Nope.

All of a sudden I ran into a current. It was like swimming into one of those endless pools where you go nowhere. I would watch the sand bottom to gage my forward progress. There wasn't much.

At times I wondered if I would make it to the bouy. At times I would actually laugh at what was happening. I was grateful for the wetsuit. Conditions like this could make some people panic and cause them to tire themselves out and who knows what could happen then. I would sight the bouy and decided to swim until I made it.

After a while I saw the underwater ropes attached to the bouy. They were stretched to the max. Good thing I could see them because I would not want to get tangled in them. As I rounded the bouy I noticed a couple largemouth bass several feet down enjoying the current.

The swim back was just the opposite. I was cruising. The sand bottom was flying by. It seemed like each pull stroke would move me 5 feet at a time. It was like flying through the water. This was fun. There were no waves but I still felt like I was body surfing.

A fun 1.4 mile roundtrip swim in 36 minutes.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

1 comment: