Wednesday, August 4, 2010

And The Beat Goes On

Good morning.

First of all, I thank all of you who left congratulatory remarks after the 1/2 Ironman. I really appreciate what you say and it does spur me on to bigger and greater things. So, thanks so much.

The past few days have been pretty much devoted to recovery from the 70.3 miles covered on Saturday's 1/2 IM.

I have done a few workouts. Sunday I went to the lake and swam 1.4 miles and later in the day a 10 mile recovery bike session on the trainer. Yesterday consisted of a 1000 yard swim. That's about it.

The legs, body and spirit are feeling really good. Today I will start to do some light running or ellipting. Looking forward to that.

It's time to move forward.

I think I am truely addicted to triathlons. The training is very enjoyable and it's fun to work on the three disciplines. The races are a blast and they last awhile. I also enjoy meeting other triathletes. There is an unspoken respect for each other that you just sense. There also is a lot of support from the athletes as you compete. Words of encouragement hit you from all sides.

One thing I've learned so far is that my running is really an asset during the tri's. I will maintain and hopefully improve my running. But, what I really need to work on is my bike. I will work on becomming stronger and faster. Also, equipment plays a major role. I spoke with Adam at Get A Grip Cycles about tri bikes and he said a properly fitted tri bike might improve your times by 5-10%. During a 2:45:00 bike that could shave off 10-20 minutes with equipment alone.

So, hard work and better equipment will make a huge improvement.

I also will work on speed and endurance in the water.

I want to be breaking the 5 hour mark on a regular basis in a 1/2 Ironman.

My next event is the Chicago Triathlon on August 29. It is an Olympic/International distance event. Did you know that the Chicago Tri is the largest triathlon in the world? It is.

I have also decided to participate in another 1/2 Ironman this year. The event is, Ironman Branson 70.3 on September 19. The web-sight: www.ironmanbranson.com.

My goal here will be to be fast enough to potentially get a spot in the Foster Grant 70.3 World Championships in Clearwater Florida in November.

I want one more 1/2 IM for 2010.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment