Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Price of Friendship

Good morning. Today is election day and also the last day of wasteful, childish TV political ads. What a bunch of phonies.

Had to take Chico our Chihuahua to the Vet today to have his back right knee looked at. I'm thinking torn ACL or something similar. I'm betting he will need, expensive, surgery. What is the value of the friendship of a best friend.

As I was driving to the Vet early this morning for Chico's dropoff appointment I was thinking of the value I/we place on our pets lives. The surgery could cost $1800-$2,000. That seems like a lot and it truely is. But, this is for one of your best friends who loves you unconditionally. A friend that lights up your life. A friend that every morning curls up on my lap as I write my blog. Right now I miss him. My lap is empty.

As we drove I would look over at him in the passenger seat and he would just be looking at me with this peaceful expression on his face. A look of contentment. He was just happy to be with me no matter where we were going.

I came to the conclusion that there really is no price to high to protect a loved one. Chico was granted a life and I want him to live it and enjoy it with us for his 14-15 years. He has 10 more years, hopefully, of a great life. That means I have 10 more years of loving companionship. That means a warm lap.

Yesterday was a 5 miler on the treadmill. I worked on running inclines and declines. I also swam 2000 yards before running. After my 500 yard warm up I worked on drills again. Mainly, bi-lateral breathing and kicking. I do kick when I swim but I want to be much better at it. It is more complicated than you think. It's like rubbing your stomach in circles with your right hand and at the same time patting your head with your left hand. Try that. But, swimming is progressing nicely. No complaints.


-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment