Friday, April 22, 2011

CHI RUNNING TO BOSTON: A RACE REPORT

INTRODUCTION

Like so many other V Teamers my journey to Boston was a challenge with nagging injury in my hip and groin. After many doctor visits provided no answers or relief I finally made the decision to see a PT. This fortunate decision just so happened to be the, "beginning of the end," of the hip/groin issue.
I thought PT was very enlightening and interesting. Some of the exercises are so vital and provide such useful physical benefits that it makes you wonder why you did not do this sooner. After many PT visits my physical therapist finally recommended that I see another PT who specialized in Gait Analysis.
This was the guy who, in 5 minutes time made the diagnosis that my right hip was out of alignment. We also did a treadmill gait analysis and he noticed some good things about my running form and some bad things. After all was said and done he gave me valuable exercises to do before I run and we also decided to incorporate "Chi Running Technique" into my running form.
The Chi Running form that I utilized from the start was basically leveling my hips (requires a slight pelvic tilt), a slight upper body (from the waist up) forward lean, a higher cadence (180 or greater) and foot plant under the body.
Ever since I started doing the pre-run exercises and using Chi Running technique I have hardly had a pain in my hip and groin. This was the cure, for me. I mention this in my Boston Marathon race report because Chi Running basically is what got me to the starting line and allowed me to have a terrific race.
If you ever have an injury please don't hesitate seeing a good PT. I would also recommend that everyone have a gait analysis. Why not?

BOSTON

Wow, I made it here. There were times over the last several months that I really wondered if I would be able to race. There were times when I thought about withdrawing due to the hip/groin issues. I thought there is no way it could get better in time. How wrong was I.
My training leading up to Boston was a mix of biking, ellipting and running. As I dealt with my injury running was neglected and I relied more on biking and elliptical. Most of my long runs were in the 14 mile range before major groin pain would kick in. Before Chi Running I think I may have had one 16 miler.
When I began using Chi Running with about 4 weeks to Boston things changed. I could run. The more I ran the better I felt. I ended up getting in that 20 mile training run I desired so much. The speed was there also. I was pumped.
Still, I was a bit concerned about the marathon. One never knows what can happen. Also, as most of us know, taper phantom pains can make you feel things that don't exist. So, I was cautiously optimistic.
I ended up getting to Athlete's Village via a Fleet Feet charter bus. That cost $40.00 but it was so comfy and had a bathroom. Plus it was nice to meet other Chicagoans who were Boston bound.
I did the usual things at Athlete's Village, namely sitting, looking, talking, drinking, eating and porta pottying. When I was in the porta potty I laid my bag down just outside the door. When I came out my bag was gone. Luckily I looked up and saw a portion of my Bib number on the bag. I ran up to this girl and she had my bag. That would have sucked if I would not have found it.
I WILL NEVER LAY THE BAG OUTSIDE THE PORTA POTTY AGAIN, EVER!!

Soon, it was time to walk to the start. Talk about phantom pain, my right calf started cramping on me during the walk to the start. What the hell!! I had to stop and rub it out. Amazing things happen.
I ran into Seth and Kevin in the coral which was nice. We were 5 minutes from the start and I took off my outer layers and got ready for battle.

My goal time was 3:29:30.

I decided to just Chi Run and to make sure I used excellent downhill running form. NO BRAKING.
The Boston Marathon is really a fun race. The crowd support is amazing. The people really just love to yell and give high 5's. As I ran I decided to take as much in as possible. I made lots of eye contact. I had fun.
Even though I ran Boston last year I was still amazed how much downhill the first 7 miles is. It just keeps descending.

SPLITS

MILE 1: 8:32
MILE 2: 8:03
MILE 3: 7:52
MILE 4: 7:47
MILE 5: 7:50
MILE 6: 7:36
MILE 7: 7:27

After this start I felt my quads but they still felt ok. My downhill form was good. Cardio wise my heart rate was low and I was hardly breathing. I was relaxed. As I went along my hip/groin made some twinges and felt a little tight but would eventually loosen up. I ate my first Gu chomps after mile 7.
My legs were on auto pilot at around the 7:30-7:40 pace. All systems were functioning just great.

SPLITS

MILE 8: 7:34
MILE 9: 7:38
MILE 10: 7:39
MILE 11: 7:35
MILE 12: 7:34
MILE 13: 7:32

After the 13.1 mile mark I ate my second bag of Gu Chops and just a sip of Gatorade.
By this time my legs were holding up well but still had pains. My left calf was sore and I could feel the quads tiring. But I just kept pushing on. You will have pain during a marathon and you must push through it. One of the thoughts as I ran was, let's BQ again at Boston. Yes, that's it. That's the motivation.

SPLITS

MILE 14: 7:36
MILE 15: 7:51
MILE 16: 7:43
MILE 17: 7:55
MILE 18: 8:01
MILE 19: 7:53
MILE 20: 8:11

That was fun. Got through most of the hills pretty well. I was cruising and felt great for the most part. Of course the quads hurt but that's what I expected. Perhaps the fact that I had no hill training helped. I knew Heartbreak Hill was coming and I also knew that it is overrated as far as hills go. I was not concerned climbing it at all. All my concerns at Boston are the downhills and I look at the up hill sections as relief for my quads.

It was coming and I was ready. I climbed Heartbrake and began my descent to Boylston. Along the way I smiled as much as possible and high 5'ed as many people as possible. Sometimes that would be maybe 50 people in a row.
Now, watching the Garmin and estimating my finish time became paramount. I wanted below 3:30 and it was looking good.
I had two bumps along the way with minor hamstring cramps. I stopped for maybe 10-20 seconds each time to stretch. My left calf which seemed like it could go any time never did.
The descent from Heartbrake is tough on the quads. Believe me. At this time during the race it is so important to maintain good downhill running form. Fight the urge to save your quads and brake. No braking allowed. Just go. Braking your descent will just destroy your quads more.

Keep going, I would say to myself. "Break through the obstructions." "Pain is temporary." Run!

The final couple miles were on the edge of cramping and not cramping. It never happened. I made that left turn onto Boylston and was very happy to be running strong. I new I had my sub 3:30 Boston. I enjoyed the crowd and just took it all in. That turn onto Boylston is awesome and emotional. You see the finish line off in the distance and the crowd support is amazing and loud. What inspiration.

SPLITS

MILE 21: 8:24
MILE 22: 7:55
MILE 23: 8:10
MILE 24: 8:22
MILE 25: 8:30
MILE 26: 8:12
MILE .46 3:29

I DID IT!!! RELIEF!! FUN!! DAMN, IT'S OVER!!! I LOVED IT!!!

Garmin Finish Time: 3:29:01
Boston Official Finish Time: 3:29:31
My Estimated Goal Time: 3:29:30, Off by 1 second.

So, I PR'ed my Boston time by 2 1/2 minutes. My fastest marathon was last years Chicago Marathon at 3:29:29. If my Garmin is correct then this would be a new marathon PR. We shall see.

After walking or should I say hobbling through the finish shoot I went and met my wife and we went back to the Lenox.
I love marathon exhaustion. It is so pure and good. The pain is a badge to enjoy for a few days.

CONCLUSION

I feel very fortunate to have been able to run this race and especially the way I did run it. I have learned that I don't need all the running miles to be a successful marathoner. The triathlon bike training that I do plays a huge part in my leg strength.
I did NO hill training for Boston. Good form helped me handle the hills. I only had one 20 mile training run.
No bathroom breaks during the marathon helps also. Interestingly I only had about 1 cup of Gatorade the whole race.

I am happy that I qualified again for next years Boston Marathon and I do hope I get in with the new registration system. I've already booked my hotel.

THANK YOU BOSTON!

2 comments:

  1. Randy,
    Congratulations on your Boston and excellent race report. Very happy to hear you have found ChiRunning and you are enjoying the benefits.

    One point:
    - Regarding the lean, it is suggested this comes completely from the ankles. If you bend at the waist you lose your alignment (and add tension) with little benefit to the subtle forward pull.
    - Blog post: http://echifitness.com/blog/2011/03/17/chirunning-common-challenges-lean/

    Also, here is a intro video I thought you might like:
    - ChiRunning Simplified!, Efficient and Injury Free Natural Running Technique
    - http://www.eChifitness.com/chirunningsimplified.html

    Enjoy,
    David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Randy...awesome run, awesome report and you BQ'd at Beantown!!! That is amazing!!! Congratulations again and again...PSR

    ReplyDelete