Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Dream Life...Reality

Good morning.

It's been a long meandering journey. I think I am a late bloomer. Most of my major life and athletic achievements have come in the last 5-7 years.

Before then I was still enjoying life and had dreams and goals. The problem was that they stayed dreams and goals, year after year after year.

My life changed when, after being an observer of the Chicago Marathon for many years, I finally decided to ACT on a life dream. I finally signed up. The simple act of signing up is such a catalyst. It gets the ball rolling. It creates commitment, hopefully.

After that first Chicago Marathon training cycle my perception of running distance changed forever. Whereas I used to do daily 3 mile runs, now going 6 or more is just a matter of choice. I love that! What a gift.

Then late in 2009 I finally acted again to realize a dream. I signed up for a lottery spot for the Ironman World Championships in Kona Hawaii. That again got the ball rolling and created commitment.

That simple act got me thinking, "what if I get in, I need to prepare." Hence, the bike and trainer purchase and also the membership at XSport to swim.

Last December I started my triathlon journey: swimming, biking and running in case I got that lottery spot. Then, as I trained hard, I thought, "what if you don't get that lottery spot? Why waste all this training?"

Right there and then I decided to enter some triathlons and put this training to work. The events, Bigfoot, Steelhead 1/2 Ironman and Chicago Triathlon are in the books. I have the Ironman Branson 70.3 this weekend.

YOU KNOW WHAT? I LOVE THIS STUFF.

I can also still run. The Chicago Marathon is only 24 days away. More fun!!

Yesterday I was able to start a new journey, by choice! I acted!

I was fortunate to get a spot via online sign up for the 2011 Ironman Wisconsin. This will be a full Ironman: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a marathon, 26.2 miles.

This is another dream I always had. Do an Ironman. I've watched so many times on TV the World Championships in Kona. Always mesmerized by the swim start and the athletes.

Every time that cannon explodes and that smoke ring heads out and the swim starts I "always" got chills down my spine and tears in my eyes. I felt it.

Next 9/11/11 I will feel it.

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO PURSUE MY DREAMS?

I don't know really. Things happen when they are supposed to I guess.

I do know one thing, better late than never.

Remember, it all starts with a DREAM or GOAL. The next step is to ACT.

DREAM+ACT+-COMMITMENT=ATTAINMENT, ACHIEVEMENT, HAPPINESS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I discovered a faster way to swim by watching another swimmer. I usually breathe on my left side only. I get more oxygen this way. But, as I swam with more level shoulders and fewer breaths my body seemed to move through the water faster. I think I need to work on this and I will do a little of that today.

I also did my last major bike workout on the trainer. The 20 miles will get me to Branson.




-----
" Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction."

* It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers. And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” - Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment